What the Bible said about friendship.
A friend loves at all times, a sweet friendship truly refreshes the soul
Friendship is an integral part of our lives as human. The kind of friends you keep has a great depth of influence in your life as an individual. That is why you don’t let your friends choose you but rather you choose your friends.
What is Friendship
To simply put, Friendship is a form of relationship that involves a mutual affection between two or more people.
Friendship should be based on mutual understanding. You choose your friends based on your visions and dreams in life. You cannot be friends with everybody. Choose your friends carefully. You can’t afford to be friends with someone who does not see life in your light, someone who is not looking at your direction in life, someone whose perspective about life is directly contrary to yours.
Been friends with such persons will only elongate your journey to success in life. Because each time you try to say something positive they always come up with something negative.
the Bible said;
”he that walketh with wise men shall be wise, but a companion of fools shall be destroyed” (Proverbs 13:20).
What does the bible say about friendship
The Bible on several verses opened up the benefits and importance of true friendship, the Bible also made us to understand that a good friend is a blessing from God.
Then Jonathan and David made a covenant, because he loved him as his own soul.1 Samuel 18:3
The scripture above tells us of the friendship between Jonathan the son of king Saul and David. When you read the next chapter (1 Samuel 19), you’ll see how Jonathan saved David from his father when he tried to kill him.
He protected him to the extent that his own father tried to kill him because he felt his son who should be on his side chose David over him. 1 Samuel 20:33
A friend loves at all times, a sweet friendship truly refreshes the soul. That’s why the bible said in Proverbs 18:24b
and there is a friend that sticks closer than a brother.Proverbs 18:24
How do I become a better friend
In as much as friendship is so important and beneficial to human life we find it difficult to see true friend who will stick no matter what. There is this common saying that true friends are scarce.
The reality of this statement is a fact we live with everyday. However, the question is what can we do to change this situation? It is not enough for us to say true friends are scarce. But the truth is, we are all friends of one person or the other.
Ask yourself, how true and genuine am i to those who consider me their friend. Am I sincere?
A man that hath friends must show himself friendly, and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother.Proverbs 18:24 (KJV)
So you see that we all have the responsibility of showing ourselves to be worthy of friendship.
We can change this situation by being true and genuine friends to those we choose to be our friends, and by so doing the world will be a better place.
Characteristics of a good friend according to the Bible
- A good friend brings you closer to God. A good friend will always direct you on the path of righteousness. He/she won’t advice you to take paths that will lead to your destruction.
- A good friend sticks closer than a brother. True friends sticks even when no one else seems to be there. He is always the Last man standing. A true friend is faithful.
The secret to a true and lasting friendship
- Trust: Trust is paramount in any relationship. What makes us true friends is that i can count on you and you can as well count on me. I can’t call you a true friend when i can’t trust you. Prove yourself to be a trustworthy person who will guard their secrets with your life.
- Listen and communicate: You should be able to listen to their needs and pains, not only their joy and happiness. It is your ability to stand by them when they need you most, when every other person has left that makes you a true friend and that is the Meaning of a good friend sticks closer than a brother. Your ability to stick makes you a true friend.
Also you should be able to communicate with them. you can’t call someone a true friend and yet you pay little or no attention to them. communication shouldn’t be one sided.
- Understanding and Respect: without understanding and Respect feelings will be trampled upon. But if you’re able to understand what to do, and what not to do with each other. This will form the basis of the friendship. Making everyone play their own part of respecting each other’s decisions.
- Set up realistic expectations: One very common enemy of friendship or any form of relationship is the failure to establish realistic expectations. In order to avoid bitterness amongst friends, It is ideal for you to state your schedule from the beginning.
If you’re the busy type that doesn’t really have time for fun but does that once in a while, you should make this clear enough to your friend so it won’t look you’re don’t have time for them or like you’re avoiding them. They might judge you based on their schedule without really knowing what you have to cover up in a day.
So it is important that you make each other understand to avoid unrealistic expectations.
If you enjoyed reading please do share this post with your friends, and I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments section below.
Be sure to also read – Top Bible verses about Friendship.